Disabled Parking Placards
A new Persons with a Disability law went into effect August 1, 2013, concerning the issuance, qualifications, and style of the temporary disabled parking placard.
In summary, a person applying for a temporary disabled parking placard will receive a temporary parking placard valid for only 6 months. At the end of 6 months, if they are still in need of temporary disabled parking privileges for the same temporary disability, they may re-apply for one more temporary disabled parking placard which will be valid up to 6 months. This second 6-month period will require completion of another application, another $4 fee, and another visit to their physician. When the second 6-month placard expires, no further placards can be issued to that person for that temporary disability. At that point, if they are still in need of disabled parking privileges for the original temporary disability, they may apply for a permanent disabled parking placard, which has a different application, no fee, and can be obtained from any local NJ Motor Vehicle Commission office.
Please be advised of the following important information:
- Temporary disabled parking placards are available for Jefferson Township residents through the Office of the Chief. If you live elsewhere, you must apply for and receive your placard from the Police Department having jurisdiction where you reside, including those who receive police services from NJ State Police.
- The Application for a Temporary Disabled Parking Placard can be picked up at our Police window, or at any NJ Police Department, as it is the same application statewide. However, regardless of which police department you picked up your application from, your completed application must be turned in to the Chief's Office of the Police Department where you reside.
- A doctor's prescription is not necessary for a temporary disabled parking placard and may not be submitted in lieu of a properly completed application.
- All completed applications must be accompanied by a check or money order (cash not permitted), payable to New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, or "NJ MVC."
- Only one temporary disabled parking placard can be issued per person. This rule also applies to couples, meaning that each person in a couple must obtain their own temporary disabled parking placard.
- The placard can be used in any vehicle the disabled person named on the placard is riding in.
- Improperly completed applications and applications submitted without the required fee in the form of a check or money order (NO CASH) will delay the issuance of a placard until corrections are made and/or fee is submitted. There will be no exceptions.